Provisional Roll Review Discussion, Primary & Contributing Schools
Do you qualify for a review?
You need to submit clear evidence to your local Ministry Management Office by 20th November 2021 that the MOE provisional resourcing roll for 2022 is at variance with your 1 March prediction by at least 5%
How? 1. Calculate the MOE Provisional 1 March prediction by subtracting the Y1 Adj roll from the total provisional roll. Multiply the result by 1.05 to determine the 5% threshold needed to qualify.
2. Establish your 1 March 2022 prediction by subtracting known leavers from the actual current school roll, then add documented pre enrolments from your submission date to 1 March 2022.
3. If your prediction meets or exceeds the threshold in (1) above, complete the Provisional Roll Review Form. NB: If you are browsing the Roll Review website please ignore “For example, provide us with evidence of actual enrolments for next year.” on the MOE website and instead, include evidence of actual enrolments arriving this year as well as those arriving up to 1 March 2022. (Be strategic when deciding when to submit your review request, considering such things as peak roll from now to 20th November which might be influenced by roll growth and covid 19 effects.)
5. MACS schools (Rolls less than 176) who find their provisional roll for 2022 is at or just under a multiple of 25 miss out on 0.6 or more staffing. Endeavour to justify being staffed on a multiple of 25 plus 1 by using (1) to (3) above. (“MACS” means “Maximum Average Class Size” and is set at 25, meaning 25 pupils = 1 teacher and 26 pupils = 2 teachers! Given that just 1 extra child counted could provide the tipping point needed for the extra teacher I suggest you submit a review request even if the 5% threshold is out of reach as I believe that the 5% rule is there to prevent frivolous applications for reviews by larger schools that would yield very little extra staffing and can be addressed by other means next year.
6. Use the Moe staffing calculator to determine the likely staffing increase that a successful review might achieve.
7. Finally, if your review fails or only partly addresses the FTTE staffing deficit you see on the provisional staffing notice, realise that if your March actual roll next year exceeds the provisional roll sufficiently you will receive an increase in FTTE entitlement after pp 26 backdated to pp 23 2022. (Hard to achieve, given that there is now no Y1 adjustment for staffing in the March Confirmation Process although it is used for your Recalculation Funding purposes and for Area Schools Staffing Confirmation and Funding.